Spirulina powder has been used since ancient times as a source of nutrients and has been said to possess a variety of possible medical uses.
Spirulina algae promotes liveliness in many ways. It may support a healthy immune system response, protect from oxidative stress and possibly supports a healthy inflammatory response in the body. Scientific studies also propose that it may be especially good for supporting a healthy brain, heart, immune system and various bodily functions.
Spirulina likes to grow in hot, alkaline environments. This helps to ensure it’s hygienic status, as no other organism can survive in the polluted waters that spirulina thrives in. Spirulina is in fact one of the cleanest, most naturally sterile foods found in nature. Its adaptivity to heat also assures that spirulina retains it’s nutritional value when subjected to high temperatures during processing and shelf storage. This is unlike many other plant foods that rapidly deteriorate at high temperatures. Spirulina algae is also unusual among algae because it is a "nuclear plant"; meaning it is on the developmental cusp between plant and animal. It is considered somewhat above plantlife because it does not have the hard cellulose membranes that are characteristic of plant cells- nor does it have a well defined nucleus. This allows it to be highly digestible in comparison with other algaes such as chlorella.
Organic raw spirulina is a type of live blue-green algae and a natural source of small quantities of iodine / potassium iodide (KI). Iodine is an essential chemical element, used in the production of thyroid hormones that regulate growth and metabolism. Iodine deficiency can lead to an increased risk of pediatric cretinism, mental slowness, lethargy, fatigue, depression, high lipid levels, weight gain and goiter. Natural sources of potassium iodide (KI) / iodine like that found in spirulina, is absorbed by the body more slowly and safely than synthetic iodine.
Furthermore, spirulina possibly helps to promote an alkaline pH balance and support a healthy immune system. Our Raw Spirulina is organically cultivated far from industrial centers at a GMP and ISO 9001 certified facility located on the lush and pristine Hainan island in the South China Sea.
Nutritional statistics of Raw Organic Spirulina:
- Holds more nutrition per gram than any other product in the world!
- A 3 gram serving has the same amount of phytonutrients as 5 servings of fruits & vegetables combined
- Contains 300% more calcium than whole milk
- Great for bones, osteoporosis, pediatric development and dietary needs for vegans
- Has 3900% more beta carotene than carrots (a powerful antioxidant that supports a healthy immune system and eyesight)
- Contains 375% more protein than tofu (a necessary building block for muscle tissue and growth)
- Over 200 scientific studies have been done showing the potential health benefits of spirulina
Some possible health benefits and traditional uses of Raw Organic Spirulina Powder may include:
- Highly digestible & gentle on system
- May support a healthy immune system response
- Rare food source of the essential fatty acid GLA
- May support a healthy inflammatory response
- High in vitamin B-12 & easy-to-absorb iron
- May support optimal cardiovascular health
- May support healthy brain function
- A natural source for RNA
- May support healthy blood sugar levels
- May stimulate healthy heart function
- Natural source of iodine / potassium iodide (KI)
- May help to maintain normal blood pressure levels
- May support healthy liver function
- A natural source of antioxidants
- May have antiviral and antineoplastic properties
- May support healthy energy level & cellular health
- May support healthy pH levels
Constituents of Spirulina include:
- Minerals: Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium
- Vitamins: Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B-6, Folate, Choline, Vitamin B12, Vitamin A (RAE), Beta carotene, Vitamin A (IU), Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Amino Acids: Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine,. Lysine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Arginine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, Serine
- Fatty Acids: Palmitic acid, Linoleic acid, Alpha-linolenic acid, stearidonic acid (SDA), Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), oic Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), Arachidonic acid (AA)
- Phytochemicals: Chlorophyll, Phycocyanin, Chlorophyll-a, Xanthophyll, Echinenone, Myxoxanthophyll, Canthaxanthin, Diatoxanthin, 3'-hydroxy echinenone, Beta-cryptoxanthin, Oscilla Xanthine, Phycobiliproteins(c-phycocyanin and allophycocyanin)